Found a dead wild rat in my garden..now what?
I was walking through my garden checking on my plants and found a poor rat dead. She was lying right next to the edge of the bed near the path. It concerns me why she died. It looked like she was running away at the time she was killed/died. There is no external marks but some blood that came out of her anal area - that's how I know it was a she not he. She also looked healthy to me except for being dead. Could she have been killed by a cat, died of poisoning or disease?
I'm concerned because I don't want anyone getting sick from rat poison (we don't use it but nieghbors could be) or disease. Anyone out there that has some experience with rodents?
BTW, I do feel sorry for this liitle gal. She must have been out having fun in my garden last night/this morning and then bame it was over. Hope that she doesn't have any young.
"The most important rat poison side effect is the internal bleeding that is caused in the body. This has its effects on the clotting of blood and causes it to thin abnormally. Internal bleeding is hence induced and it is this internal bleeding that finds its way out in the form of nose or gum bleeds, bloody urine or bloody stool."
That's scary and sad. What a slow horrible death.
So, the rat could have been poisoned. It maybe one of my neighbors putting out rat bait. Is it possible to get secondary poisoning from the rat sans eating it? I plant on going through my garden to see if there are anymore.
I wish people would find a better way to deal with rodents.
I've been under the impression that if a cat eats a rat that has been poisoned, the cat will also be poisoned. Is this not true?
Yeah, if the rat was poisoned with warfarin/brodifacoum, the cat can get poisoned by eating a poisoned rat.