You are here

Does anyone else have the Chicago Diner cookbook?

Or should I just post reviews in the 'other cookbooks' thread?

I do! I can post a few reviews when I have more time (i.e. when this semester is over.)

So far, I've made the shepard's pie (excellent), the goulash (excellent), the black bean burgers (good, but they fall apart), and the lentil loaf (recipe full of bizarre typos). There may be more, but I don't have the book in front of me right now.

0 likes

As always, if anyone wants to send me the recipe list, I'll set up the thread and update. I couldn't find a list online.

0 likes

I can send you the list when I have a chance. I'm new to the forums, but I assume that I just send it to you in a private message and then you post it?

The recipe lists you create in this forum are so helpful!! Thank you for doing it!

0 likes

I can send you the list when I have a chance. I'm new to the forums, but I assume that I just send it to you in a private message and then you post it?

The recipe lists you create in this forum are so helpful!! Thank you for doing it!

Great, thanks!!! I'm glad you find them helpful. :) Yeah, just send me a pm with the list. I just need the categories and recipe names. I will post it in this forum, and keep it updated with the reviews.

0 likes

I had this book and I didn't like it at all. Maybe I found it disappointing because I have heard so many great things about the restaurant and the book itself was really basic and kind of on the boring side. I wasn't terribly inspired to make anything from it and the few things I did try weren't very good. Unfortunately, I have since given the book away and can't remember which recipes I made.

0 likes

I was sort of hoping that there would be more sandwiches.  I think I skimmed through over 80 pages before I found something innovative.

0 likes

I've made some really good things from it (see my comment above), but it has some flaws. The biggest one is that it's poorly edited and there are some unclear instructions and even some errors in the recipes (e.g. cook 4 cups of lentils in 2 cups of water. Umm....no).

My biggest disappointment: I live near Chicago, so I've been there many times and they have the most awesome buffalo "wings." I thought they would HAVE to be in the cookbook, but they weren't included. (I bought it online and couldn't see a list of recipes.)

0 likes

I've eaten there, too, and LOVED it.  It seemed like the book was missing all of their signature dishes, though.  75% of the recipes are recipes that are similar to recipes I already have in other cookbooks.  The other 25% better make up for it!

0 likes
Log in or register to post comments

More Posts Like This