Weekly Giveaway: The Blooming Platter! Bethamphatamine is the winner!
Sometimes a person has to look outside of VegWeb for a recipe. I know, it's scary, but true. Luckily for us, there are about a million amazing vegan cookbooks out there! One of my latest favorites is The Blooming Platter by Betsy DiJulio (http://www.thebloomingplatter.com/?attachment_id=3850). Filled with recipes like Southwestern Tempeh and Corn Pie, Blooming Vegetable Calzones, and Spicy Baja Tacos, it'll have you full until next winter! Besides, it totally needs its own category in Cookbook Lab, and I think you're just the person to start it!
To win a signed (!!!) copy, let me know what your favorite summer desserts are!
Giveaway ends Tuesday, August 9 at midnight, winner will be selected randomly, must live in USA to win.
p.s. Are you getting the VegWeb Weekly? It's our free and food-filled newsletter and you can sign up by just entering your email on the home page or on this page in the left hand bar!
Just came back from Maine and blueberry picking, made my first blueberry pie with those fresh berries...
so I'll go with blueberry pie (must say they're perfect just the way they are, too.)
My favorite summer desserts are fruit sorbets and fresh nectarines!
I've been eating So Delicious ice cream sandwiches this summer like it's my job. I also made some pretty awesome teqiula lime sorbet that's in the freezer, too!
keeping it simple w/ strawberries topped w/ coconut whipped cream
I'm not much of a sweets fan; just give me some fresh mango, peaches, cherries, watermelon - yumm!!
I very much like tropical "stuff" - pineapple, mango, banana, with some lime in there too, if at all possible!
I found this cake and oh, my... good enough to serve seconds without asking...
Vegan Ho'olaule'a (Hawaiian Celebration) Cake
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 cup + 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups raw sugar
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, in pineapple juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
1 (8-ounce) container vegan cream cheese (e.g., Tofutti)
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 pound powdered sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
flaked coconut, to taste (garnish)
chopped macadamia nuts, to taste (garnish)
1.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine the water, cornstarch, flax, and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil; stir until a thick paste forms. (This is equivalent to 3 eggs.) Into the egg substitute, beat 1 cup vegetable oil, sugar, the pineapple with its juice, and vanilla; blend.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the banana, coconut, and macadamia nuts; fold into the batter. Divide the batter evenly among the cake pans.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with no crumbs attached. Transfer the cakes to a rack and cool before frosting.
1. In a bowl, combine the vegan cream cheese, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and coconut extract; beat with electric mixer until well combined.
2. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until the desired frosting consistency forms.
3. Stir in coconut. Consistency will be runnier than most frostings.
4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before frosting cake to allow frosting to become firmer.
5. After frosting the cake, sprinkle with flaked coconut and chopped macadamia nuts.
LEFT OUT FROSTING ALTOGETHER BECAUSE IT WAS SOOO SWEET: BUT, PUT CAKE BATTER IN 9x13 GLASS PAN, BAKED 75 MINUTES. LET IT COOL SOMEWHAT. TRY NOT TO INHALE IT. TAKE SOME TO YOUR NEIGHBORS... YOU WILL BE AN INSTANT HIT. YUMM-O!
Anything with blueberries, pie, muffins, cobblers, short cake....you get the idea.
right now I'm sort of addicted to coconut milk ice cream.
Chocolate mousse or fruit smoothies!
My favorite summer dessert is plain fruit like watermelon & berries. I also like sorbet, particularly mango sorbet right now.
The weather is finally warming up here, so I threw together a really strange dessert concoction a couple of weeks ago. I made some yam pudding by blending cooked yams, one banana, rolled oats, soymilk, cinnamon and a bit of stevia together. Refrigerate for a while. Chop up another banana and freeze it. After a while, stir the frozen banana pieces in the yam pudding and enjoy! Weird but good.
Best summer dessert is pan-cooked peaches :)
strawberries mashed up a little in a bowl w/ a little agave
My dessert loves aren't necessarily tied in with the seasons. I could eat black bean chocolate cherry coconut brownies anytime.
Strawberry pie or a simple fruit salad
Sorbet with frozen banana and peaches
popsicles, elotes, watermelon with pico de gallo