You are here

Member since December 2006

Banana Cream Pie (Diner Style)

What you need: 

2 cups ice-cold soymilk (I used rice; put milk in freezer for twenty minutes)
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup erythritol + 1 heaping 1/32 teaspoon of stevia extract powder)
4 + 1/2 tablespoon ClearJel (not instant)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegan margarine (Earth Balance Butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla (I used Nielsen-Massey)
3 bananas (medium in size)
9" pre-baked vegan graham cracker pie crust

What you do: 

1. Slice bananas and sprinkle with lemon juice; mix the two in a bowl; this is to prevent the bananas from browning.
2. Combine in another bowl, sugar, ClearJel, and salt and whisk them together until well blended.
3. Add ice-cold milk and vigorously whisk until smooth. Then transfer to saucepan.
4. Set the heat to medium.
5. Stir constantly until mixture thickens which will happen around ten minutes time; it will look like a very thick paste when you're done.
6. Allow it to bubble then turn down the heat to a low setting; cook for 1 minute and then remove from heat (use a watch to time this).
7. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
8. Allow it to cool.
9. Bake your crust for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
10. Pour half the mixture into pie crust and line with bananas.
11. Pour remainder of the mixture on top of the bananas.
12. Add another layer of sliced bananas to the top of the filling; you can add yellow food coloring to give it that yolk look. If you do this, please use natural food coloring as the other stuff is made of petroleum by-products.
16. Let the filling cool for a few hours until firm.
17. Top the pie with your choice of soy whip and serve.
Note: I personally like Rich's Whip; if you can get your hands on one, freeze a metallic bowl for ten minutes and then whip with a hand mixer to get some really nice peaks. Pour over pie.
If you use Soyatoo's Soy Whip as I did, it'll melt very quickly making your pie not the best looking but still very, very tasty.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

it says 1/32???  Did she mean 1/2 or 1/3 ?  I can't possibly imagine 1/32 is an actual measurement possibility.

I'm a "he" by the way.  :) And yes, I did mean "1/32". You have to buy one of those odd teaspoon sets that label their measuring spoons Smidgen, Pinch, Dash, and Drop. 1/32=Smidgen.

The smaller sizes are needed for accurately measuring stevia extract powder so it will match the sweetness of cane sugar.

0 likes

I added about 8 oz extra firm tofu to the filling mix...that helped the consistency a great deal!

0 likes

I made this before with a whole wheat flour crust and it came out great
Will try it again (with a lower-carb crust this time)

0 likes

note to self: never cut bananas on onion cutting board.  ::)

I keep two cutting boards. One for onions and garlic and one for fruit!

0 likes

I used a vanilla pudding mix for this, but I think the most important part of this recipe is using COCONUT CREAM! there was hardly any coconut taste at all, but this thing was so creamy (but it held in pieces perfectly) that I swear I ate half the thing myself over two days. in a chocolate based crust it is even better!  :)>>>

You used pudding mix instead of the gel? I have several boxes of vegan pudding in my pantry and was wondering what recipes I could use them for. How did you make your pie. I'm very interested.

0 likes

I used a vanilla pudding mix for this, but I think the most important part of this recipe is using COCONUT CREAM! there was hardly any coconut taste at all, but this thing was so creamy (but it held in pieces perfectly) that I swear I ate half the thing myself over two days. in a chocolate based crust it is even better!  :)>>>

0 likes

Made this as a "Birthday Pie" for a non-veg friend of mine - He LOVED it. I used about a tsp of powdered agar along with the cornstarch, and added 1 banana sauteed in earth balance to the "pudding" when it was warm and pureed it all together.  I read the reviews and decided half coconut milk and half soy was the best combo (I used the coconut 'water' really, the cream at the other end of the can I used for whip).
;)b Great recipe, I topped with coconut milk whip concoction and sprinkled with toasted coconut, adding a little piece of starfruit in the center for garnish (I wish I had taken a picture but I was eager to give it to him). Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

keda, how much agar did you use?

the whole pack that was ment for 1c of liquid. it turned out a bit too soft (agar never makes things as jell-o-y as gelatine did).
i think i'm using pudding powder mix next time.

0 likes

it says 1/32???  Did she mean 1/2 or 1/3 ?  I can't possibly imagine 1/32 is an actual measurement possibility.

It's likely supposed to be 1/2 teaspoon, but I'll email the author to confirm.

Yvette

0 likes

0 likes

Pages