You are here

Member since April 2003

Mississippi Mud Cake

What you need: 

Cake:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup margarine, softened (Earth Balance works great)
1 cup water
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 egg replacers (like Ener-G)
1/2 cup plain soy milk + 1/2 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Frosting:
1/2 cup margarine
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons plain soy milk
pinch of salt
2 cups powdered sugar

What you do: 

In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar & salt. In a saucepan, bring the margarine, water & cocoa to a boil. Remove it from the heat and pour over sifted ingredients. Stir until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat together the rest of the ingredients, then add to the smoothed mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Frost while hot!!! Bring all ingredients except for the powdered sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and pour over the cake as soon as its out of the oven (some of the frosting seeps into the cake, making it extra moist).
Let cool and serve.

Preparation Time: 
60 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I use plain soy yogurt as my egg replacer

0 likes

This is my go to chocolate cake. It's fast and easy, and tastes awesome.

0 likes

My dad loved this cake so much he asked me to make it for his work, they enjoyed it so much, they can't believe its vegan!

0 likes

I've made this about a dozen times, also made cupcakes using this recipe.  It is a favourite with everyone.  This time I made two and put caramel sauce in the middle, it was devine.

0 likes

this turned out incredibly well! it's definitely reserved for a rare special treat, though, because of the huge amount of fat and sugar. it's a shame it's so freaking good....

0 likes

*too busy eating the cake to leave a review*

Okay, just kidding. I loved the idea of frosting the cake right after it came out of the oven. Mmmm! Next time I'm going to cut back on the powdered sugar, though... Maybe I got lazy when I was stirring or something but there were a lot of powdered sugar "clumps" when the frosting cooled and set. Ah well.

If you're making this for an event or something, make it a day ahead of time!!! It was okay on the first day, but unbelievable good on the second day. Mmmmm!  ;D

0 likes

This is one of the best chocolate cakes I have had (vegan or not).  It comes together really quickly and easily and its damn good.  I'm not a chocolate cake fan, because I like chocolate and chocolate cakes never really give me the chocolate kick that I crave.  The frosting/glaze on this one hits the spot!

0 likes