1. Soak cashews in vegetable broth and tamari for at least an hour, then blend in a high-powered blender or food processor.
2. Sauté garlic and crushed red pepper on medium-high heat in a non-stick pot for about 2 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water or broth as necessary to prevent sticking.
3. Add in the marinara and vodka and bring to a boil. Cover with a tilted lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in the blended cashew mixture, along with the nutritional yeast.
5. Add small amounts of cracked black pepper and basil (recommended--but the sauce is still flavorful without it), tasting after each addition until the sauce meets you taste preference for these ingredients. I prefer my sauce very garlicky, so I also usually add a little garlic powder.
6. Serve over pasta of your choice and enjoy!