1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 large cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 cup chopped white onion
2 to 3 whole dried chilies (use which ever is your favorite)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans or 1/2 (16-ounce) package dried beans
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 mango sliced
1 avocado sliced
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat a little bit of vegetable oil. Add the garlic and onions; simmer on low for a few minutes.
2. Add the chili peppers and the cumin.
3. Pour in the can of coconut milk and let all the ingredients mix together.
4. Rinse and drain the black beans and add to the mix. Salt and pepper to taste. (If you are using dried beans, prepare them as per the package and cook separately for 45 minutes before starting the rest of the mix.)
5. Let beans simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. While they are simmering, cut up the avocado and mango and place in a bowl on the table. (The mango and avocado should be eaten with the beans. I place them right on top. The sweetness of the mango and buttery texture of the avocado complement the spiciness of the beans.) The mix will be soupy. Serve in bowls Best with tortillas. ENJOY!!!