2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons active yeast
1/2 cup molasses, divided
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 cups unbleached white flour, divided
1. Mix water, yeast and 1 tablespoon of the molasses together in a large bowl. Pour in the 3 cups wheat flour and mix well. Cover the bowl with a towel and place in a dry place. Let it sit for a minimum of 20 minutes, up to a day!
2. Pour in the rest of the molasses, oil, milk and salt. Mix together. Begin adding white flour 1/2 cup at a time. Begin kneading the vegan bread in the bowl when it becomes dense, and it is still a bit sticky.
3. Add another 1/2 to 1 cup flour as you knead the vegan bread. Knead it for 5 to 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Cut the dough into 2 equal parts.
4. Grease 2 (8 1/2x4 1/2") bread pans, shape the bread pieces into loaves, and place them in prepared pans. You can also make 24 rolls, or 1 loaf, and 12 rolls. Cover pans with a towel in a warm place and let the dough double in size. This will take 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F for loaves or 375 degrees F for rolls.. Bake loaves 35-40 minutes, and rolls for 20 minutes.
This is super easy to make. Most of the time is spent letting the dough rise and bake. You don't spend much time in the kitchen, I swear!