1/2 cup (86 g) flaxseed (measure volume before grinding the flaxseeds since the volumes of ground and unground flaxseeds are different)
3/4 cup (102 g) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (22 g) (vegan) Dutch cocoa
1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
2 teaspoon (10 g) Rumford calcium phosphate baking powder (no aluminum) *
1 tablespoon (8 g) lecithin granules
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (60 g) English walnut pieces, chopped
1 cup (245 g) soy milk, unsweetened (or 220 g water and 25 g soymilk powder)
1 teaspoon (4 g) vanilla extract
(1) Grind the flaxseeds. Coffee grinders work great.
(2) Premix the dry ingredients.
(3) Premix the wet ingredients.
(4) Quickly, mix the wet with the dry ingredients. Use only enough strokes to wet the batter (12..18).
(5) Quickly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
(6) Bake muffins at 350°F for 30 minutes (preheated oven).
* Its important to use Rumford or other calcium phosphate baking powders (especially when using non calcium fortified soymilk). The high calcium content of the baking powder assists in forming the muffins supporting structure.
One Muffin Provides 3.5 g omega-3.