1 teaspoon oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups cooked beans (kidney or garbanzo)
2 cups water or bean-cooking liquid
2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
2 to 4 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 to 3 tablespoons soy sauce
10 soft whole-wheat tortillas
4 cups cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
3 green onions, finely chopped
avocado, thinly sliced, to garnish
salsa, to garnish
1. Heat oil in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until transparent. Add garlic and stir. Add beans, water, chili powder, mustard, and cumin.
2. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until beans are very very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in soy sauce.
3. Mash beans in the pot with a potato masher or large slotted spoon. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat to cook away any excess liquid, about 25 minutes. Taste and add more seasoning, if desired.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Spread about 2/3 cup bean mixture down the middle of a tortilla and top with 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/8 green onions. Roll up burrito, folding edges in from 2 sides to cover filling.
5. Repeat with remaining tortillas, bean mixture, sweet potato and onions. Place burritos seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until burritos are crisp. Sprinkle burritos with avocado and salsa.