1 cup vanilla nondairy milk (I use soy)
2 large (3 1/2 ounce) bars dark vegan chocolate, very finely chopped
splash vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 cup cocoa powder
sugar, to taste, optional
1. Set the milk to boil. Place the chocolate pieces in a medium glass or ceramic bowl.
2. Pour in the milk, through a strainer, a little at a time. You will not likely need the entire cup, but use your judgment. The heat of the milk will melt the chocolate, so only use as much as you need to melt all the chocolate.
3. Use a whisk to blend it all together. Add vanilla extract, and mix again. It should look like very thick chocolate sauce. Allow mixture to cool. It should be somewhat firm. If it isn't, chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
4. A cookie scoop works best for this next part. You want them to be round but you can't roll them with your hands because your body heat will melt the mixture and it gets messy! Anyway, scoop out small balls of the chocolate mixture (should be bigger than marbles but smaller than golf balls (bite size).
5. Dredge them in the cocoa powder or the blend of cocoa and vegan sugar. Now they're ready, so enjoy!
Variations: Add chopped nuts to the mixture for crunchy truffles, and/or roll them in finely chopped nuts instead of cocoa. Or do the same with coconut. Or try it with flavored vegan chocolate, Endangered and Terra Nostra and Tropical all have good ones!