3 organic russet potatoes, chopped
4 organic red creamer potatoes, chopped
3 organic carrots, chopped
2 ribs organic celery, chopped
1 cup pearl onions, peeled and trimmed
2 cups water + extra to deglaze
3 tablespoons vegan margarine (e.g., Earth Balance) + extra to deglaze
1 (0.7-ounce) package vegan brown gravy mix (e.g., Hain)
1/2 (1.8-ounce) package vegan onion-mushroom soup mix or vegan cream soup (e.g., Imagine)
pepper, to taste
rosemary, to taste (optional)
thyme, to taste (optional)
1. In a steamer basket, add russet potatoes, red creamer potatoes, carrots, and celery. Steam until they begin to soften, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. To a greased casserole dish or roasting pan, add onions. Place in 375 degree Fahrenheit oven and roast until they begin to brown, 10 minutes. (You may skip this step and steam the onions instead or put them in the oven with the rest of the veggies.)
3. Remove the onions and deglaze the pan with a little water and the margarine. Add steamed vegetables to the pan and toss lightly to distribute.
4. In a small saucepan, add 2 cups cold water, gravy mix, and soup mix. If using cream soup (or your own) then reduce the water by 1/2 cup and use one cup of prepared soup. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over veggies. Add pepper, rosemary, and thyme.
5. Reduce oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake, covered, for 30 to 45 minutes.
This dish reheats well, although you may have to add more water when reheating.
Variations:- Some other great veggies to use are: parsnips, sweet potatoes, and peas.- Deglaze with vegan white wine.