1 pound firm tofu (must be frozen solid and then thawed)
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tablespoons tamari Mashed potatoes:
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
dash salt Mushroom Gravy:
2 tablespoons cornstarch + 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons tamari or Braggs
1 1/2 cups potato water vegan margarine, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. For tofu mixture, once tofu is defrosted, squeeze out all water like a sponge. Shred into small pieces. Fry onion, oil and spices on medium heat until translucent. Add tofu, nuts, lemon juice and tamari. Continue to stir while cooking for 5-10 minutes.
2. For mashed potatoes, boil potatoes in large pot until soft. Drain (reserving 1 1/2 cups liquid), place back in pot or in a large bowl, and add margarine, milk, and salt, to taste. Mash.
3. For gravy, dissolve cornstarch in water in small bowl. Fry mushrooms with oil on medium-low heat in small saucepan for 3-4 minutes. Add tamari, pepper, and potato water. Bring to simmer for 2 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and stir constantly on low heat until thickened.
4. Place tofu mixture in bottom of baking dish. (I use a glass baking bowl about 6-8" deep and 10" wide) Add mushroom gravy on top, followed by potatoes. Smooth top of potatoes and add a few pads of margarine on the top.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately!