1 (32 ounce) carton vegetable stock, divided
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup red wine
1 large onion, 1/2 sliced 1/2 diced
1 pound mushroom mix, roughly chopped and stems reserved
(I use portobello and button)
2-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste
2 (8 ounce) packages tempeh, cut in half
squirt Bragg's amino acids
4-6 yukon gold potatoes, quartered
1 pound baby carrots
1/4 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place 1/2 the stock in a sauce pan with nutritional yeast, vegan wine, diced onion, mushroom stems, 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer on low the entire time you prepare and cook everything else. In a skillet or frying pan, place the tempeh with a squirt bragg's and balsamic vinegar and cook until browned on both sides.
3. In a roasting pan or 4 quart+ crock pot, layer (follow each layer with a sprinkling of spices, especially if using crock pot) first the potatoes, then the carrots, tempeh, mushrooms, and onion slices. Pour the other 1/2 stock over the vegetables and cover pan.
4. Place in oven and bake, checking after 45 minutes. When done the potatoes should pierce easily with a fork. If using a crock pot, set on high 4 hours, but check after 2. When roast is done, remove cover of sauce pan and skim out the mushroom stems, taste and season accordingly.
5. In a dish, mix flour with enough water to make a thick liquid. Pour 1/2 into pan while stirring constantly. Bring heat up to medium and stir until mixture boils for 1 minute. If gravy isn't thick enough, add the rest of the flour mixture and boil again. Serve gravy with roast.
I am a tempeh addict and even my carnivore friends request this recipe constantly.