5-7 large russet potatoes -- cubed
2-3 large leeks -- chopped (Use as much of the leek that you can)
1-1.5 yellow onions -- chopped
10 leaves fresh basil -- diced
1/8 cup of tyme (dried)
3 - 4 cloves of garlic --diced
salt / pepper / garlic powder to taste
1 cup of soy milk (optional)
Knorrs potato leek soup mix (or Arrow root to thicken a bit)
2 cans cream of asparagus soup (optional)
8-12 quarts of water
The prep time is a bit missleading... This soup will cook for about 2 Hrs, but there's not much prep involved at all!
- Peel and cube the potates
-Put potatoes, tyme and basil into salted water and boil for about 45mins - 1 Hr.
- Add the leaks, onions, and garlic to the mix. Turn down the heat and simmer for another 45 mins - 1 Hr. Stir frequently or the potatoes will burn to the bottom of the pot.... Ugghh.
- Add garlic powder for flavor and a little arrow root to thicken a bit ... When I'm lazy I just use 2 packs of Knorrs potato leak soup.
- Let cook another 5 mins or so stiring freq.
- At this point you could add 1 cup of soy milk. ** My wife likes to add two cans of cream of asparagus soup... but that's optional.