4 cups (500g) old-fashioned oats
1 cup (125g) wheat germ
1/3 cup (42g) sesame seeds
1 cup (125g) slivered almonds
1 scoop (about 1 tablespoon,or 15mL) plain soy protein powder (or rice powder)
2 teaspoons (10 mL) cinnamon
1 cup (125g) crushed bran cereal
1/2 cup (125 mL) flaxseed oil (regular vegetable or canola oil will do, but its far less
1/2 cup (125 mL) agave nectar (or maple syrup, if you prefer)
1 cup (125g) raisins
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. (160 degrees C) and spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray
2. Combine all dry ingredients except for the raisins in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate, microwave-safe bowl, combine all wet ingredients and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or until boiling. (You can also heat on the stove; its just more time-consuming.)
4. Pour the boiling liquid mixture over the dry ingredients; combine.
5. Spread evenly over the baking sheets, place on top two racks of oven.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool for about an hour, then add raisins.
This is an incredibly simple, tasty, and healthy way to wake up in the morning. The oats, wheat germ and sesame seeds have a ton of iron, while the almonds and flaxseed oil are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Raisins and bran for fiber, and then a scoop of protein powder makes this a far healthier alternative to store-bought cereals.
Feel free to play around with this one, substituting your favorite nuts for the almonds. If you like, you can use chopped prunes instead of raisins for even more iron.