1 cup corn meal
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/3 cup oat bran
1 cup water or vegetable broth
oil, as needed
1 small onion, diced
1 cup broccoli, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoons water
1 cup mixed frozen vegetables, thawed and drained (carrots, corn, green beans, peas)
1 cup kale, finely shredded
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, optional
1 1/2 tablespoons tamari, optional
1. Mix the corn meal, brown rice flour and sea salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the oat bran and water or broth and set aside.
2. In a small fry pan, heat some oil and add the onion. Sauté until translucent or caramelized, whichever you prefer. Turn off the stove and mix in broccoli.
3. Mix in the oat bran/water or broth to the corn meal mixture. Add in the flax seeds + water and combine well. Fold in the onions, broccoli, mixed vegetables and kale.
4. Heat some oil in a skillet (not necessary if using a nonstick pan) over medium low and spread out 1/2 cup of the batter. Fry until browned, about 4-5 minutes each side.
5. For optional dipping sauce, mix tamari and sesame oil. Keep ratio for larger quantities.