2/3 cup nondairy milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon apple or orange juice
2 cups unbleached white pastry flour (wheat flour just won't make fluffy biscuits, I have tried)
2 teaspoons non-aluminum baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt Gravy:
2 to 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine or olive oil
1/2 (14 ounce) tube vegan sausage, broken into small pieces
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 to 2 cups water, divided
2 to 3 tablespoons flour
salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste vegan margarine, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 400*F. For biscuits, in a bowl, add nondairy milk and lemon juice; set aside for a few minutes to sour. In another bowl, beat 3 tablespoons oil and apple juice together with fork.
2. In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add oil-apple juice mixture and mix until it resembles bread crumbs. Stir enough of the soured milk so the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and is slightly sticky (or biscuits will be dry).
3. Place biscuit dough on a floured board and roll or pat to 1" thick. Cut into 2 1/2'"round biscuits and place on dry baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
4. For gravy, put margarine in pan and turn on medium. Add "sausage" and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fry, stirring occasionally, until "sausage" is nice and browned. Remove sausage mixture from pan and deglaze pan with 1 cup water for 1 minute.
5. Mix remaining 1/2 cup water with flour to make thin paste. Return sausage to pan and add water-flour mixture. Stir constantly until thick. Season with salt and plenty of pepper. Cut biscuits in half and spread liberally with margarine and top with ample amounts of gravy. You can also put gravy on toast and have vegan sh!t on a shingle.
This is stick-to-your-ribs, fill-you-up, breakfast. We never have leftovers of this (even though it's just the two of us).