3 cups mixed dried fruit
1 small orange, juiced
1 tablespoon brandy
1/3 cup vegan margarine, softened
2/3 cup raw cane sugar
1 cup self rising whole meal flour
1 tablespoon mixed spice
whole almonds, to garnish
1. Soak dried fruit in brandy and orange juice and leave for at least 20 minutes (overnight if time allows).
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and line a small cake tin (6" square or 7" round). Cream the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl.
3. Add the fruit (including the liquid) and stir until well mixed. Sift the flour and mixed spice and add to the bowl, stirring until evenly mixed.
4. Put the mixture into prepared cake tin, smooth the top out level, and decorate with the almonds. Place in the center of the oven and bake for 3 hours.
5. Check after 2 hours, a skewer placed in the center of the cake should come out clean when fully cooked.
Wrapping brown paper around the outside of the tin will ensure an evenly cooked cake.