1 medium head green cabbage
3 slices tempeh bacon, optional (omit smoke seasoning, if using)
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup long-grain rice, cooked (I used Lundberg Farms golden brown rice)
1 (12 ounce) package veggie ground round (I used Yves the good ground original)
dash smoke seasoning, optional
generous shake salt and pepper
1 (24 ounce) jar sauerkraut, divided
1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 cups water
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 (8 ounce) package vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
1. Cut off the bottom of the cabbage (where the stem would attach). Cover with water in a large saucepan and boil until outer leaves easily come off. Continue boiling until you have 12-15 good, large leaves for stuffing. Cut the large center stalk/vein from each leaf. Coarsely chop the rest of the cabbage and set aside.
2. Cook the tempeh bacon (if using) according to package directions and crumble. Cook the onion and garlic until soft. In a large bowl, combine the rice, veggie ground round, crumbled bacon, smoke seasoning (if using), salt, pepper, and tempeh bacon (if using). Add 1/2 the onion/garlic mixture and mix well.
3. Cover the bottom of a large, high-sided pan (such as a lasagna pan) with 1/2 the sauerkraut. Place about 3 tablespoons veggie ground round mixture in the center of a cabbage leaf and roll up, tucking in all the sides. Place roll seam-side down on top of the sauerkraut in the pan.
4. Repeat with the remaining rolls, and top with the reserved chopped cabbage. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. To the remaining onion/garlic mixture, add paprika, cayenne, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, caraway seeds, and remaining sauerkraut. Mix well and pour over the rolls.
5. Bake for about an hour. In a small bowl, mix 1-2 tablespoons hot cooking liquid into the vegan sour cream and spread over the top of the rolls. Bake for another 15-20 minutes.
This recipe impressed the heck out of my very Hungarian, very carnivorous boyfriend. Hope you like it!