cornmeal for dusting
1/2 pizza dough made from Mara's Pizza Dough recipe*, rolled into 2 large or 4 small circles
olive oil for brushing crust
1/4 to 1/2 cup bottled or homemade pesto
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
1 cup grated soy mozzarella cheese (or crumbled firm tofu)
1 cup bottles pasta sauce
1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
dried or fresh basil for garnish
*Mara's Pizza Dough recipe is at http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16954.0 .
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Dust a baking pan with cornmeal and place dough circles on baking pan. Brush dough with olive oil.
2) Spread a thin layer of pesto on entire crust except edges.
3) In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except basil, to make the filling. Place the filling on half of each dough circle, dividing filling among the calzones.
4) Form the calzone by lifting the uncovered half of the dough and folding it over the filled side, pressing the clean edges firmly together. Roll the edge to make a seal. Brush the calzones with olive oil, make a few smaller air slits on each calzone with a knife, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Brush with olive oil halfway through the baking.
5) When calzones are finished, sprinkle with basil as a garnish and let sit for a few minutes before serving.