1/2 lemon and zest
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup vegan soy butter
1/4 cup soymilk
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
sugar or sweetener of your choice
Preheat oven to 350*F and lightly flour a cookie sheet
1. Squeeze juice from the 1/2 lemon into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and add very hot water to equal the 1/2 cup. Pour over the poppy seeds that have been put into a separate cup or small bowl.
2. Combine flours, margarine, soymilk, lemon extract, and sugar. Dough will not be very stiff.
3. Zest the whole half of the lemon and add to the dough. Drain poppy mixture and add to the dough. Mix in.
4. Dough will still not be very stiff, so I usually take about a half handful of flour, put it on the dough, and use a spatula to turn the dough until it's completely covered and can be worked with hands. Gently roll into a log (can just do this with your hands, not on a table or counter).
5. Place on floured cookie sheet and bake about 22 minutes.
OR instead of mixing the poppy seed right into the dough, you can combine the lemon zest and poppy seeds, roll out the dough on a floured surface, spread the poppy mixture over the dough and roll up jelly-roll style. But I just mix it in because I’m lazy and it's less messy when I’m eating it ;)