1 clove garlic, diced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
oil, as needed
1 can (15 1/4 ounce) beans, drained and rinsed (my favorite is black)
1 can (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups brown rice, prepared (about 1/2 cup uncooked)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare brown rice before starting beans, according to package directions. Brown rice takes about 45 minutes.
2. Saute garlic and onion in a pot with heated oil until onions are translucent. Careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Turn down heat, add beans, as well as the entire can of tomatoes including juice. Add cumin.
4. Simmer on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. The way I like them takes about 20-25 minutes to be kind of mushy together.
5. Serve whenever they are your desired consistency. Serve over a bed of brown rice and season with salt and pepper.