2 medium russet potatoes
4 medium yellow potatoes
salt, to taste
1 cup unbleached flour, plus more for kneading
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick the potatoes with a fork and bake until tender. Scoop flesh out into a bowl and coarsely mash. Add salt, to taste.
2. Add flour and start mixing/kneading the mixture with clean hands. If you find the mixture is quite sticky (you probably will) start kneading in more flour (1/4 cup at a time). Keep doing this until you end up with a fairly smooth, very pliable, not sticky, dough.
3. Divide the dough into 4 portions and roll one portion into a rope about 1" in diameter. Start cutting 1/2" pieces off. If you're really fancy about this you can roll them with a fork, press indentations, etc, but I don't feel this really impacts the final product so I just leave them as is.
4. Place gnocchi on a floured plate or baking sheet and place in freezer for at least 1/2 hour or more (this is an important step!). Repeat with remaining three portions.
5. At this point, you can freeze your gnocchi solid and store in baggies in the freezer until you're ready to eat them, or, drop the half frozen gnocchi in boiling water until they float to the top (won't be more than a few minutes).
Enjoy with your favourite sauce! I eat these with the sun-dried tomato and hemp heart pesto I also posted.