2 cups dry textured soy protein granules
1 3/4 cups veggie broth (or 1 bouillon cube dissolved in water)
1 medium yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten flour
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
oil, as needed for frying
1. Reconstitute textured soy protein granules by placing them in a microwave safe bowl, pouring the broth over the granules, covering tightly with plastic wrap and placing them in the microwave for 5-6 minutes.
2. Alternatively, you can pour boiling broth over the dry granules, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. In a skillet, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, and mix in the flour, Tamari and all of the spices. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
4. With your hands, form balls about 1 1/2" in diameter. Use a lot of pressure when forming your balls, tee-hee, you don’t want them to fall apart.
5. Lightly fry them in a small amount of oil, rolling them around in the pan to brown on all sides.
Source of recipe: This recipe was submitted by Joni Marie Newman, author of Cozy Inside, published by the Newman Press. See http://www.cozyinside.com  for more recipes.