1/2 (8-ounce) package vegan steak strips
1/3 head of cabbage, shredded
2 large red potatoes, sliced or cubed
1/2 onion, thickly sliced (I use sweet yellow)
1 large carrot, sliced
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 (15-ounce) can vegetable broth
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1. Veggies: In a oven-safe pan, combine vegan steak strips, cabbage, potatoes, onion, and carrot.
2. Broth: In separate bowl combine horseradish, vinegar, and mustard; evenly mix. Stir in vegetable broth; mix well. Pour broth over veggies.
3. Cover and bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 45 minutes. The dish will be done when the potatoes and carrots are soft, or to your liking. Transfer veggies and steak to a bowl.
4. Gravy: Pour the broth from the oven pan into a saucepan over low-medium heat. Add in flour and more vinegar (if you want). Mix completely--if your gravy seems too thick add some water a little at a time until you get the consistency you want.
5. Spoon gravy onto veggies and you have yourself a tasty vegan-Irish treat!
This recipe can easily be converted to suit what you have around the house--the "gravy" tastes pretty good on any vegetable too! The only thing I would suggest you not substitute is the red wine vinegar. White or cider would just not work! I'm pretty lazy so I'm partial to one pot dishes. Enjoy my laziness!