10 oz block of frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup yellow corn chip crumbs
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons vegan soy margarine
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 3/4 cup dry ziti
1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2-1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Smash or food process some corn chips until you get about a cup of crumbs.
- Set the pasta to cook
- Put the frozen broccoli block in a 1-qt casserole by itself and microwave for 5 minutes on high or until done.
- Heat corn oil in saucepan and add flour. Cook on low and stir until roux is a perfect golden yellow color.
- Add about 1/2 cup nutritional yeast. Add soy milk, boiling water, vegan soy margarine, and additional yeast by tablespoons until you reach a good consistency (to coat the ziti and broccoli and then bake). Add garlic and onion powder, salt, turmeric, and pepper to taste and color. Make it pretty strong -- the pasta will dilute the flavor.
- Strain the ziti and add it to the broccoli in the casserole dish.
- Pour the cheeze sauce onto the ziti and broccoli and mix in. Correct seasoning if needed.
- Cover the casserole with the corn chip crumbs.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and fragrant. Let cool slightly before serving.