3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced thinly
organic olive oil
6 cubes vegan vegetable stock cubes, divided
12 cups water
1 small bag of lentils
1/2 large bag of collard greens
Pregnant vegans need to take extra care to ensure that all of their (and their baby´s) nutritional needs are met. Pregnant women need at least 600 mcg of folic acid daily, which can be supplied through dark, leafy vegetables, rice, whole grain bread, and citrus fruits. Collard greens supply calcium, which you will need MUCHO of, as the baby will be needing it to make its dainty little bones. Protein, as we all know, is also essential, which you can find in beans and pulses, like lentils. Both my husband and I LOVE this soup, even if it weren´t perfect for our baby!
1. Saute, on medium high heat, onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is soft and lightly browned.
2. Take two of the stock cubes and crumble on to onions. Stir until dissolved, to flavor onions and garlic.
3. Add water and remaining stock cubes.
4. Rinse lentils, ensuring that all dirt and stones are removed and add to soup.
5. Add collard greens. Cook for approximately half an hour to 45 minutes until lentils are fully cooked and collard greens are wilted.
VARIATIONS: Use 2 cans of chickpeas instead of lentils, and spinach instead of collard greens. If you choose to use spinach, pour soup over handfuls in bowls to lightly wilt, not fully cook in to soup.