2 cups raw cubed pumpkin
4 cups chopped mushrooms (we mix eringi, maitake, and shiitake)
1 teaspoon salt + salt to taste
1/4 cup crumbled tempeh
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3/4 cup nondairy milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup bread crumbs (panko here)
1/4 cup diced onion, caramelized in a bit of oil
handful chopped walnuts (optional, but good for crunch factor!)
pepper, to taste
1. Coat pumpkin cubes in olive oil and arrange in a single layer in a casserole dish. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
2. In a large pan over medium heat, combine mushrooms and salt. "Sweat" the mushrooms until their juices come out and they're cooked through.
3. Add the tempeh and garlic; cook for a few minutes. Add the nondairy milk, water, and turmeric; cook another few minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine; cook another few minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Pour mushroom concoction over the baked pumpkin cubes and spread to even out surface.
4. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, caramelized onions, walnuts, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle that on top of pumpkin-mushroom mixture. Optionally, you could give the top a quick spray of oil before popping it in the oven.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.