1 pound tofu, extra firm, cubed
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin (optional)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup filtered water
1 large bunch kale
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup cucumber, quartered and sliced
sprinkle crunchy bean sprouts (optional)
1/4 cup cilantro, fresh minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Stir soy sauce, oil and mirin in a baking pan with tofu cubes. Roast until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place in a large bowl.
2. While tofu is cooking, bring a small pot of water to boil. Pull the leaf of the kale from the stem in small pieces. Discard stems and place leaves in pot with water and stir until kale becomes bright green and just tender.
3. Drain, place in bowl with tofu and remaining ingredients and mix well.
- add 1/2 cup kalamata olives, tomatoes and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar for a Greek flavor.
- use pesto sauce recipe (page 57 of 7 Minute Chef) instead of olive oil and herbs.
- prepare tofu and veggies as directed and toss with favorite salad dressing.
- replace cucumber with thinly sliced carrot, radish, tomato or beet.
- if you prefer raw kale, prepare 1 hour ahead of time and refrigerate to allow the oil to soften the kale.
This recipe is reprinted from 7 Minute Chef  by Mark Reinfeld and Bo Rinaldi with permission.