1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup soy flour + 1/2 cup wheat bran + 1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup turbinado or brown sugar
1 banana (mashed)
2 sweet potatoes (baked then mashed)
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup vanilla soy milk + 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon molasses
2 teaspoons yeast + hot water, optional
1/4 or 1/2 cup Walnuts, optional
This bread is almost fat free yet so moist and yummy! I love using a variety of flours, but if you don't have the soy, you could use all whole wheat pastry. I definitely recommend the wheat and oat bran; wheat bran is extremely high in fiber and low in carbs.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix (preferably sift) together the dry ingredients and set aside.
Mash together the sweet potatoes and banana then, in a mixer, add the wet ingredients (including the mashed sweet potatoes and banana) until well incorporated.
Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until "smooth." The dough should be a dense bread dough consistency.
Put into a greased 8 by 4 inch bread pan and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool then slice and enjoy! :-)
Note on Yeast: I added the yeast to ensure that the bread would rise since the sweet potatoes are so heavy. So it is up to you!
I entered the ingredients on calorie counter to find the nutritional information if you are interested:
Nutrition FactsServing Size 75gAmount Per Serving (Based on 12 slices)Calories 154Calories from Fat 30% Daily Value*Total Fat 3.3g 5%Cholesterol 0mg 0%Sodium 214mg 9%Total Carbohydrates 27.5g 9%Dietary Fiber 4.5g 18%Sugars 7.2gProtein 5.6g