1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup vegan mayo
fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, plus 3 tbsp
4 large portobello mushrooms
4 slices of your favorite vegan bread (baguette, ciabatta, lavash, pita, focacia)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
1 small tomato
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place garlic in a tinfoil and season with salt, pepper, and a few drops of olive oil if you prefer. (it brings out a nice flavor) wrap the foil and bake for 30 minutes, until tender. Let cool; then peel and mash the garlic clove.
2. Mix the mayo, basil, 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, and about a tablespoon of roasted garlic in a small bowl. (depending on how much you love it. I always use the leftover on toasted bread and it makes a wonderful buttery-type garlic bread) cover and chill.
3. Heat a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil or cooking spray to medium heat and add the tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Then add in the mushrooms and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes) season with seat salt and cracker black pepper.
4. Pre-heat broiler. Lay bread slices on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown; watching closely so they do not burn.
5. Spread the garlic and basil mayo onto toasted sides of bread. Then layer the mushrooms, a sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese, and a few slices of tomato. (If you prefer, put the sandwiches back under the broiler for 30 seconds to melt the vegan cheese.)