2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (not minced)
1/4 cup fresh torn basil
fresh minced oregano, to taste
6 slices Italian sourdough, ciabatta or focaccia (vegan)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to taste
1. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes and salt. (It might seem like a lot of salt, but like putting sugar on strawberries, salt on tomatoes has a kind of self-'macerating' action and they don't taste that salty in the end product.)
2. Place balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until liquid has reduced to approximately 1/4 cup.
3. In a heat-proof bowl, combine olive oil and garlic; heat in the microwave for 30 seconds (1000w on high) or in a small saucepan, until quite warm but not so hot you can't touch it.
4. In a bowl, toss together the tomatoes, oil-garlic mixture, basil, oregano.
5. Toast the bread, then top with the tomato mixture. Crack pepper over the bruschetta, then drizzle the balsamic reduction over - about 1 teaspoon per slice should be plenty. Top with a good sprig of the parsley.