1/2 medium onion, sliced thinly
2-3 large portobello caps, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups fresh spinach, shredded or 1/2 (16 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
1-2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Italian spices
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
2-4 pieces vegan cheese
2-4 ciabatta, focaccia, or hoagie rolls
1. Saute onion a few minutes, then add mushrooms. Add garlic and spinach. Sauté a few more minutes stirring constantly.
2. Preheat broiler. Add vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and spices. Add salt and pepper.
3. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally over medium heat for approximately 25 minutes, or until all flavors have blended and mushrooms have a thin flimsy appearance.
4. Slice rolls and toast briefly under broiler. With rolls still on broiler pan, top both halves of each roll with mushroom mixture and top with cheese.
5. Broil until cheese melts and edges of bread are a little crispy.
Great with fries! Not exactly philly-style, but reminiscent.