1 loaf Italian bread
3 cups nondairy milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup carob chips
1-2 small ripe bananas
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1-2 cup strong coffee
1. Remove crust from bread and cut into cubes.
2. In a large saucepan, boil 1c. of the milk, the sugar, and salt.
3. Remove from heat, add in the carob chips, and stir until the mixture is smooth.
4. In another bowl, thoroughly mash the banana(s) and mix with the 2 cup soy milk and vanilla.
5. Combine two mixtures and add in the bread. Let this sit for 1-2 hrs. The longer hte better, so the chocolaty goodness soaks through.
6. Preheat oven to 345 degrees F.
7. Butter a 8" pan and pour the bread mixture in.
8. Bake in water bath for about 55-60 min.
9. After it's done baking, add the coffee for a more mocha-ish flavor.
This recipe was modified from one in the Joy of Vegan Baking.