4 cups sesame seeds
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- Heat the oven up to 350 degrees.
- Cover a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Spread the sesame seeds evenly over the baking sheet.
- Cook the sesame seeds in the oven for about 8-10 min. stirring them around frequently to make sure they are evenly roasted. Don't let them get too brown, or the tahini will taste burned.
- OR you can roast the seeds in a skillet on the stove, stirring frequently if you prefer.
- Set them out to cool.
- Dump them into the food processor.
- Add oil and blend on high for about 5 min. If you need to, stop and stir to make sure all the seeds get evenly ground up.
- Keep blending until the tahini is a smooth, pouring consistency. Add more oil if it seems too dry.
- Pour into a jar and store in the fridge. It will keep for a long time. You now have a great base for adding to hummus or making sauces.