2 large eggplants
2-3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup barbeque sauce
1/4 cup citrus juice (orange if you want it sweeter, lemon or lime if more tart)
2 tablespoons apricot jam
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, optional
2 tablespoons sesame oil, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Fill a large baking dish with 1/4" water (to prevent burning). Cut eggplants in half lengthwise and place face-up in baking dish.
2. Whisk together all other ingredients in bowl or pitcher. Coat the tops of the eggplants liberally with the mixture.
3. Bake eggplants until soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven every 5-10 minutes and drizzle with more sauce.
4. When eggplants are soft enough to mash with a fork, "stir" up the eggplant flesh inside their shells a little and pour on the remaining sauce.
5. Bake 5 more minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Source of recipe: I created this recipe, in an attempt to replicate a dish I've had in Japanese restaurants.