2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached white flour (or all-purpose gluten-free flour)
1 cup organic sugar or sucanat
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt Cake (wet):
1/4 cup oil (safflower, non-virgin olive, or sunflower)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup nondairy milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries Streusel topping:
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, at room temperature or melted
1/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white or gluten-free all-purpose)
1 1/8 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder Lemon Icing:
1 1/4 cups organic powdered sugar
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine all of the dry cake ingredients very well, making sure to remove any lumps in the sugar. Combine the wet cake ingredients (except blueberries) very well.
2. Stir into the dry ingredients, and combine well without over mixing. Stir in the blueberries. Lightly oil a 9 1/2" x 13 1/2” pan and evenly spread the batter into it.
3. Stir the streusel items together very well until thoroughly combined and crumbly. Evenly spread over the blueberry cake. Bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before icing the cake.
4. To make the icing, begin by removing any lumps from the sugar, if necessary. You can do this with your fingers, a fork, or by running it through a strainer or sifter. Next, combine all of the icing ingredients together well, stirring with a spoon.
5. When the cake is slightly cooled, drizzle the icing over the top. You can really have some good, old fashioned fun at this point! Now, your creation is ready to eat. Enjoy!
This yummy cake is "Oh Boy Delicious" according to several 5 year olds! It is also easy to make, healthy, and always wins the hearts of carnivores and vegans alike!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe. It's from my new vegan cookbook, "Radiant Health, Inner Wealth."www.radianthealth-innerwealth.com