1 (12-ounce) block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
olive oil, for frying
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
[u]Bowl #1 Sauce Ingredients[/u]:
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel
1 tablespoon chili paste*
1 tablespoon vinegar
Bowl #2: 1 tablespoon Ener-g egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons of warm water
Bowl #3: 3/4 cup cornstarch (you might end up needing a bit more)
*This makes the dish really spicy you might want to start with 1/2 tablespoon
1) Cut your drained and pressed tofu into cubes, set aside.
2) Mix the cornstarch and water in bowl #1 until smooth. Then add all your remaining sauce ingredients and mix together, set aside. Mix ingredients in Bowl #2 until smooth, set aside. Place cornstarch in Bowl #3, set aside.
3) Take a small handful of tofu cubes and coat with Ener-g/ water mixture in Bowl #2, try to let any excess liquid drip off before placing the tofu into the cornstarch in Bowl #3, coat the tofu with the cornstarch and set aside. Continue until all the tofu is coated.
4) Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large NON-STICK pan on high heat and add coated tofu cubes and fry until all sides are golden, adding additional oil if needed. Try to keep the tofu pieces from sticking together as your frying them by separating them with your spatula.
5) When tofu is golden on all sides, add the sauce mixture from Bowl #1 and the green onions, stir around until the sauce mixture is thickened.
Serve with rice for a fabulous meal <3
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe after trying a few other orange tofu recipes on this site that I didn't like.