1 cup vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 1/2 tablespoons regular sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1-2 scallions, diced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 head broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup water
1. For sauce, combine veggie broth, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, scallions, sugar, and add the cornstarch last in medium bowl.
2. Mix until the cornstarch dissolves and there are no lumps left. I find heating the broth helps to dissolve it. In a medium frying pan, add the canola oil and put on high heat.
3. Add the broccoli, and stir occasionally for about 3-5 minutes, until most of the broccoli brightens and browns a little. Next, add 1/4 cup water and lower the temperature to medium.
4. Cover and let the broccoli steam for about 2-4 minutes. You want it crisp, so don't over cook the broccoli. Once the broccoli is cooked, add the sauce.
5. Place the cover back on, and feel free to turn the heat up a little. wait for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. When it is thick enough, it's ready to serve!
This goes great with basmati and jasmine rice! Also, feel free to add a few other veggies in there too. I like to add carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and snow peas occasionally for more of a stir-fry. If you do, throw them in with the broccoli during the browning process. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: I always order broccoli and garlic sauce from the Chinese restaurant near my house. I decided I wanted to make it instead of buying it. I came across the recipe from http://skinnychef.com/recipes/broccoli-garlic  , but thought it lacked the flavor I enjoyed thus have modified it with some pepper flakes and edited the ingredient portions.