3/4 cup nondairy milk
1/4 cup margarine, softened
2 3/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 (1/4 ounce) pack fast rise instant yeast
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 pecans or vegan chocolate chips (optional) Optional icing:
1/4 cup margarine, softened (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon nondairy milk (I use soy)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a saucepan, heat the milk and 1/4 cup margarine until boiling. Remove from heat and cool until only warm. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/4 cup flour, yeast and white sugar, and whisk to get all the lumps out). Add water and milk/margarine mixture to the dry mixture and whisk just until it forms a rough dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Add nuts and chocolate, if using.
2. Dump dough onto a floured board (or clean counter), and knead in the remaining half cup of flour. Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes (pressing up with palms and folding again and again) until the dough is perfectly smooth. Put the dough in a slightly oiled bowl, cover it with a clean, slightly damp towel and let it rise for 10-15 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the counter with flour and using a rolling pin, roll dough out to a 9X12 rectangle. Combine 1/2 cup margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon and spread over the entire top surface of the rectangle. Start with the long part of the rectangle and roll it up the short side. Using a serrated knife, cut each cinnamon roll about 1 inch thick.
4. Place cinnamon rolls into a greased pan, (9"X13") Cover with a damp towel and let rise for 10-15 minutes. After cinnamon rolls have risen, bake for 15-20 minutes, depending how gooey you like them.
5. For icing, combine all ingredients. It will be very creamy and taste just like regular cinnamon roll icing. Spread on icing and watch even omnis say, "MMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! I never would have guessed these were vegan!"
Source of recipe: I crated this recipe.