6 to 8 medium red potatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 tablespoon vegan sour cream
splash nondairy milk (I use soy)
salt and pepper, to taste Filling:
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped shallots or onions
12 ounces vegan "beef" crumbles
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 cups green beans, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 (29 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper, to taste
vegan cheddar cheese, as desired, optional
1. Add potatoes to pot of boiling water. For filling, heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. After a minute, add garlic and shallots/onions; stir frequently for about 1 minute and then add "beef" crumbles.
2. Stir frequently for 2 minutes, then add filling vegetables, crushed tomatoes, and season, to taste. Let the filling simmer, stirring occasionally, while mashing potatoes. Preheat broiler.
3. Potatoes are ready to mash when a knife can be easily inserted into potato and it feels soft. Drain water from potatoes in a colander in the sink; return potatoes to pot, or a large bowl.
4. Mash potatoes, and add margarine, vegan sour cream, salt, and pepper. Add milk, a small splash at a time, to moisten, but don't make them runny.
5. Pour filling into a casserole dish, top with heaping spoonfuls of mashed potatoes, and top with vegan cheddar cheese, if desired. Place under broiler to melt and brown cheese, approximately 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Source of recipe: Vegetarian version, inspired by my mom's cooking.