6 cups unbleached white flour (can be substituted with wheat flour)
1/4 cup sugar, divided
2 teaspoons salt
3 packets dry yeast (6 3/4 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons vegan margarine (Earth Balance is preferred)
2 cups water
olive oil, as needed
1/2 cup raisins
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Mix together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add the margarine to the mixture, mixing it thoroughly with your fingers. Add the water to the bowl and stir it with a wooden spoon, switching to your hands once the mixture thickens. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until the dough becomes stretchy and manageable.
2. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil and leave in a warm spot to rise until it doubles in size. Punch the dough to "knock it back" and preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Roll the dough out and cut it into 13 equal pieces. Roll 12 of the pieces into strands and wrap them around each other, leaving a central circle of about 3" diameter. You may want to braid the strands to create a decorative look. Roll out the extra strand to create a bottom for your tower. Place it directly below the circle of dough to create small "pit" in the center.
4. Sprinkle the raisins, rest of sugar, and cinnamon over and gently press them into the dough. Pay special attention to the "pit" in the center, filling it with raisins, cinnamon, and sugar.
5. Bake the tower in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when you tap it. The dough will rise and create a "tower" of cinnamon raisin bread! Cool the bread for 10 minutes before serving.
Source of recipe: I was making cinnamon raisin bread and this is what I came up with. Delicious!