1 1/2 cups white rice
2 3/4 cups water
salt and pepper, to taste
1 bouillon cube
1 tablespoon vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 cup cheddar style vegan cheese, shredded (I use Daiya)
1 1/2-2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk (I use almond)
3 small bunches broccoli, chopped into large florets
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8x8" glass casserole dish with nonstick spray. Add rice, water, pepper, and bouillon cube to pot, cover, and bring to a boil.
2. Stir, and reduce to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes on low. (just until all liquid is absorbed; rice might not be completely cooked) Meanwhile, add vegan butter to small sauce pan on medium.
3. Melt, and add vegan cheese. Stir for 1 minute, and gradually add milk. Continue stirring and adding milk until cheese is melted, and desired consistency is reached. (you want it to be very saucy) Season liberally with salt and pepper.
4. Once rice is done, mix in cheese sauce and chopped broccoli. Stir to combine. Add more salt and pepper, if desired. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and bake for 20-30 minutes (until bubbly).
5. Turn oven to broil, and broil for 2-3 minutes until top is golden.
Source of recipe: I wanted a vegan version, and this is what I came up with.