1 (16 ounce) bag macaroni or penne
1 large onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
Italian seasonings, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil and/or coconut oil, as needed
1 cup split red lentils
2 cups water
2 cups fresh pumpkin, small cubes
1/4 cup coconut milk
nutritional yeast flakes, optional
1. Cook your noodles according to package directions. While these are cooking, in a large saucepan, sauté onion, garlic, and tomatoes with salt and Italian seasonings in olive or coconut oil (I use a combo of the two) until soft.
2. Scrape this into a bowl, and set aside. Add the dry lentils and water to the pan, with some more italian seasonings, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, half-covering with a lid.
3. Once the noodles are cooked and drained, add back to the pot with a few turns of olive oil and scrape the cooked tomato-onion mixture in to it, mixing to allow the flavor to soak into the noodles.
4. When the lentils are about halfway soft, add the pumpkin, and continue to cook half-lidded (so it does not boil over), stirring occasionally, until the lentils and pumpkin are very soft.
5. Take lentil-pumpkin mixture off stove, add the coconut milk and salt, pepper and italian seasonings to taste. With a hand blender, blend until smooth. Add a hefty sprinkling of nutritional yeast flakes (if you desire), and mix. Add this to the noodles, stirring well.
Enjoy the creamy yumminess!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.