2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 medium yellow onion, halved lengthwise, then cut into thin wedges
1 medium red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (14-ounce) package vegan sausage, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced into half moons (e.g., Tofurkey Italian sausage)
1 (16-ounce) tube prepared polenta, sliced into 16 rounds
8 ounces vegan shredded mozzarella (e.g., Daiya)
1. Preheat broiler to high. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 3- quart saucepan set over medium heat. Add tomatoes and oregano; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
2. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic, chile flakes, salt, and pepper. Cover pan, lower heat to medium, and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add sausage, stirring with a wooden spoon occasionally, about 5 minutes. Cover pan and cook until vegetables are tender and sausage is heated through, 5 to 8 minutes more. Add tomato-oregano mixture and simmer 10 minutes.
4. While sauce is cooking, spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Add polenta slices to pan in 3 rows and then spray top side of slices with more cooking spray. Broil polenta about 4 inches from heating element until golden brown and crispy, 10 to 15 minutes..
5. Pour sauce over broiled polenta, then arrange mozzarella shreds over the top. Broil until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Source of recipe: This recipe is modified from My Recipes: Baked Polenta with Sausage and Tomato-Pepper. (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&... ) I substituted vegan Italian Sausage for the bulk Italian Sausage, used 1 large roll of Polenta (not 2) and used Daiya mozzarella.