3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 pound favorite greens, chopped (kale works well)
1 large yellow onion, choped
2 cups vegetable stock, divided
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoon lemon juice
4 cups (2 15-ounce cans) cooked beans (black-eye, pinto, black, whatever)
2 cups (1 15-ounce can) cooked okra
1 (15-ounce) can seasoned diced tomatoes (e.g., Ro-Tel, or dice your own tomatoes and chiles)
1/4 cup chopped chiles (optional)
3 teaspoons pepper sauce (Texas Pete or similar)
2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
You only need one large pot to cook this.
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add and saute garlic until soft, but not browned.
2. Add the greens and onions; toss together.
3. Add 1 cup vegetable stock, vinegar, and lemon juice; cover and boil 5 minutes.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (1 cup vegetable stock, beans, okra, tomatoes, chiles, pepper sauce, black pepper, salt, and cumin); return to boil.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until you're ready to eat. The longer it simmers the better it tastes, but it's pretty much ready to eat immediately.
Serve with rice.
Source of recipe: I've been making Hoppin' John for years, but never vegan. Decided to give it a whirl.