4 ounces tempeh, crumbled
1 cup carrots, chopped
dash Bragg's liquid aminos
2 cups potatoes, chopped
2 cups baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
3/4-1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
1 cup roasted winter squash, chopped
2 tablespoons ketchup or tomato paste
generous pinch dried basil
generous pinch oregano
generous pinch parsley
generous pinch rosemary
generous pinch garlic powder
small pinch red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons bragg's or soy sauce
2-4 tablespoons water or stock, to deglaze
2 roasted acorn squash, skin off
1 tablespoon vegan cream cheese (I use Tofutti)
2 tablespoons nondairy milk (I use almond)
salt and pepper, to taste
dash garlic powder, optional
1. In a medium sized saucepan, simmer your tempeh and carrots in enough water to just cover, with dash Bragg's. Simmer until most of the water is absorbed and the tempeh has expanded.
2. Boil potatoes, drain when done, and add back to pot; set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a separate pan, saute mushrooms.
3. Add sauteed mushrooms, chickpeas, squash, ketchup, spices, 2 tablespoons Bragg's, and the vinegar to the tempeh and carrots once the water has been absorbed, and everything is all nice and soft. Use the water or stock for deglazing the pan, if needed.
4. Transfer tempeh mixture to a 9″ pie plate. To potatoes in pot, add roasted squash flesh, vegan cream cheese, milk, salt and pepper, and garlic powder, if using. Mash away with a potato masher until everything is nice and combined.
5. Spread potato mixture on top of tempeh mixture in pie plate, and bake for 30 minutes.
Source of recipe: I came up with this recipe to use up a bunch of leftovers. It can be found on my blog: http://healthfashionvegan.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/vegan-mofo-day-28-par...