1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine (e.g., Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
1 mashed banana
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
24 maraschino cherries, blotted dry [u]Frosting[/u]:
1 cup (6 ounces) vegan semisweet chocolate chips
10 ounces silken tofu
1 to 3 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, cream together sugar and margarine until fluffy. Beat in banana and vanilla.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture (batter will be very firm).
3. Shape dough into 24 balls, about 1-inch round, and place on ungreased baking sheets. Push one cherry halfway into each ball.
4. Frosting: Heat chocolate chips and silken tofu in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cherry juice and vanilla extract; stir until smooth. Spoon 1 teaspoon of frosting over each cherry (the frosting will spread over cookie during baking).
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chocolate-Covered-Cherry-Cookies-3