1 teaspoon sugar
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal and/or flour (used to dust counter to roll out dough) Sauce:
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt & pepper, to taste
olive oil, as needed
1 (12 ounce) package sausage style seitan, chopped well or crumbled
1 cup baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 cup (yellow or white) onion, sliced
vegan Parmesan cheese, to taste
1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella flavored vegan cheese, shredded (I use Daiya), divided
1/2 package (2-4 ounces) mozzarella flavored sliceable vegan cheese, sliced (I use Teese)
oregano, to taste
1. In a bowl, combine water, sugar, and active dry yeast to activate yeast and let sit for at least 5 minutes. In a mixer, add the dry ingredients and mix on a low setting using a bread hook. When the yeast is ready, add it to the mixer with the olive oil.
2. Let the dough form in the mixer until it forms a uniform ball and starts to climb the bread hook. (If you do not have a mixer, then combine the dry ingredients with the bowl of yeast, kneed until smooth.) Remove and let stand for at least 1/2 hour or until it doubles in size. While waiting for the dough to rise, prepare the other ingredients.
3. To prepare the sauce, add all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and let simmer on low heat until ready to use, stirring occasionally. In a lightly oiled skillet, add the seitan and lightly brown. Once the dough has risen, punch it down and then use the the cornmeal and flour to dust the counter. Form an even roll and cut in half. Lightly oil one half and place it in a zip lock bag in the freezer for another day.
4. Roll or press out the dough into a circle that will fit in a round, 9" cooking pan (I used a spring form pan for this). Lightly oil the baking pan and lightly dust with flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Place the dough in the pan so that it climbs up the sides to make a wall. Preheat the oven to 450° F.
5. Begin layering the ingredients. To keep it authentic, add the seitan sausage first, then the mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle a layer of vegan parmesan cheese. Now for the cheese: add 1/2 vegan mozzarella for the next layer, being sure to spread it as evenly as possible. Then add the sliced vegan cheese followed by topping it with the remaining shredded mozzarella.
6. Sprinkle oregano over the cheese for a little added flavor. Add the pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and add a layer of the sauce. Place in the oven again and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and let cool enough that you can handle and remove from pan. Place on a cutting board, slice, and serve.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/11/deep-dish-pizza.html